It’s something that most people never think of unless their lives depend on it, and that’s the critical supply of blood in times of emergency.
That’s why with the public hitting the roads this summer vacation season — along with typical accidents and hospital surgeries — the American Red Cross is encouraging those who can to give the precious life-saving fluid at a local donation center.
The Red Cross says a mere 3 percent or so of people in the U.S. give blood, with a high percentage of those being “regulars” who make it a habit to help others.
Those wishing to donate this summer should visit online at http://www.redcrossblood.org/ to find a donation center and schedule a visit, use the free Red Cross donor app available via the site, or call 1-800-733-2767 (that’s 1-800-RED CROSS).
▪ Friday — noon to 5 p.m., Home Depot, 1500 LaFayette Parkway, LaGrange, Ga.
▪ Tuesday — 2 to 7 p.m., Ellaville Baptist Church, 64 North Broad St., Ellaville, Ga.
▪ Wednesday — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Georgia Southwestern State University, 800 Wheatley St., Americus, Ga.
▪ June 23 — 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Americus First Baptist Church, 221 South Lee St., Americus, Ga.
▪ June 27 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., South Georgia Technical College, 900 South Georgia Tech Park Way, Americus, Ga.