Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Journalist forced to kneel for 3 hours in the sun for criticizing chiefs

October 13, 2017 10:31 AM
27 0

A journalist with the Wassa Akropong based Rivers FM, Mr. Larry Saint, has ordered to kneel in the sun for over three hours by the area's paramount chief, Omanhene Tetre Akuamoah Sekyim, after the journalist allegedly criticized traditional leaders.

According to's report, Mr. Larry Saint's "punishment" is somewhat related to recent turbulent incidents in the Wassa Akropong area.

Following the shooting of a 29 year old young man, youths in Wassa Akropong retaliated and vandalized lots property belonging to Chinese nationals. Police had to be called to protect Mr. Hai, the Chinese national accused of the shooting, and the Western Regional Police Commander, DCOP Kwesi Duku, had to intervene to restore a semblance of order.

During the moments of chaos, Mr. Larry Saint shared an audio message on a Whatsapp group saying that chiefs in the area weren't doing all they could to make ensure the youth's safety against Chinese nationals.

Unfortunately for Mr. Saint, his audio message eventually reached the chiefs, who then summoned the journalist to his residence.

“I was called by my manager to accompany him to the palace because the Chief has summoned us. So I went with my manager and when the Omanhene came he said he has got a tape to play for us and after that, he is going to take a decision," said Mr. Saint, speaking to Joy News.

According to Mr. Saint, a PA system was then set and his audio message was played.

"...he asked if it was my voice, I said yes, and he asked me to kneel down on the tiles. So I knelt." He said.

Mr. Saint stated that after kneeling in the palace for a while, he was asked to get up and go into the sun, to which he complied by getting up and going to kneel out in the sun. After kneeling for over three hours he [Larry Saint] was later handed over to police.

Although he has already been released, Mr. Larry Saint has expressed reluctance at leaving the Wassa Akropong locale, even though he's been receiving threats on his life.

Western Regional Police PRO, Olivia Diku, has confirmed Mr. Saint's arrest to Joy News, although calls to Omanhene Tetre Akuamoah Sekyim to comment on the issue are as yet unsuccessful.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0