Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Photo, Video

06:14 Passive Smoking: The Unfortunate Consequences of Second Hand Smoking

15

06:58 Commentary: Let's talk about depression

17

05:36 World Health Day: India's Top Nutritionists Share Diet Tips to Follow Daily for a Healthy Lifestyle

14

Health

All category news

  • Red Cross Blood Drive stops at the OPL June 28

    June 16, 2017 4:16 AM 8 1

    Blood donors can help alleviate the severe blood shortage in New York hospitals by coming to Oneida Public Library on Wednesday, June 28, between 1:00 and 6:00 p.m. for the American Red Cross Blood Drive being held there. The OPL at 220 Broad St. in Oneida is cooperating with the American Red Cross by providing space and refreshments for donors. To schedule

  • Think about donating blood just as if your own life depended on it

    June 16, 2017 4:16 AM 3

    It’s something that most people never think of unless their lives depend on it, and that’s the critical supply of blood in times of emergency. That’s why with the public hitting the roads this summer vacation season — along with typical accidents and hospital surgeries — the American Red Cross is encouraging those who can to give the precious life-saving

  • Eating fried potatoes linked to higher risk of early death, study says

    June 16, 2017 3:52 AM 6

    (CNN) — How your spuds are cooked is key to your health. People who eat fried potatoes two or more times a week double their risk of an early death compared to those who avoid them, a recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found. Eating potatoes that have not been fried was not linked to a similar early mortality risk, the researchers

  • About 160,624 units of blood collected nationwide in 2016

    June 15, 2017 1:49 PM 42

    Dr. Justina Kordai Ansah, the Chief Executive Officer of the National Blood Service, Ghana, has said in 2016, a total of 160, 624 units of blood was collected nationwide. However, out of the number, only 36.2 percent (3.6 out of 10) of the donations were from Voluntary Unpaid Blood Donor source (VUBDs). “The rest of the 63.8 percent (6.4 out of 10) was from family

  • DR Congo polio outbreak 'from poor vaccine coverage'

    June 14, 2017 5:03 PM 9

    Two outbreaks of polio have been identified in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in a blow to the goal of wiping out the disease from the world. The World Health Organization said there was a high risk the vaccine-derived virus could spread. The strain of polio involved comes from areas with poor vaccine coverage. A similar outbreak, linked to low immunisation

  • Cancer Survivors Take A Lap

    June 14, 2017 2:55 PM 7

    Darlene Currie and Stacy Sperrazza faced a similar cancer diagnosis together, battled and beat the disease together, and walked the Relay for Life Survivor Lap together at the organization's June 3 event in Suffield. The 19th annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life of North Central Connecticut, which included teams from East Granby, Enfield, Granby

  • World Blood Donor Day: Lack of donating culture causing shortages during emergencies

    June 14, 2017 2:19 PM 6

    ISLAMABAD: A vast majority of blood donated in Pakistan is through ‘family donors’ or family members who donate blood in lieu of a need by a family member, as opposed to voluntary donors. Of the 3.5 million blood donations collected annually, around 90 per cent are from relatives of the patients while only 10 per cent is from voluntary donors, said Hasan

  • Baby death: Parents convicted over vegetable milk diet

    June 14, 2017 1:25 PM 11

    A Belgian court has given six-month suspended jail terms to the mother and father of a baby boy who died after being fed a diet of vegetable milk. The baby, Lucas, weighed just 4.3kg (9.5lb) when he died aged seven months, dehydrated and malnourished. The parents, from Beveren near Antwerp, ran a health food shop and fed him for four months with milk made from oats, buckwheat

  • Head of Michigan health department charged with manslaughter in Flint water crisis

    June 14, 2017 12:48 PM 5

    The head of the Michigan health department was charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, the highest-ranking member of Gov. Rick Snyder's administration to be snagged in a criminal investigation of Flint's lead-contaminated water. Nick Lyon is accused of failing to alert the public about an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the Flint area, which

  • Daily chartThe global inequality of blood supplies

    June 14, 2017 9:57 AM 2

    Giving blood is more popular in rich countries—but not in all parts of the world TODAY is World Blood Donor Day, celebrating those who each year make more than 112m blood donations. A single one can save up to three lives. Most of those lives are in rich countries, and not just because of better health care. Nearly 30% of blood donations occur in Europe